With more time at home, now is the perfect time to get started on those DIY projects that will transform your outdoor space for alfresco living.There’s nothing more satisfying than building something from start to finish with your very own hands, creating something you’re proud of and that will upgrade and embellish your space.
So with the spirit of DIY in mind, we’ve put together six outdoor project ideas that you can create at home with brick. To get you started, we’ve included the best websites for step-by-step instructions and some brick inspiration.
Don’t forget to share your projects with us using #MyPGHBrickHouse or tag us @pghbricks – we’d love to see your completed (or in-progress) brick DIY projects!
1. Construct a brick fire pitBrick fire pits are the ultimate winter backyard statement and will keep your family warm on those chilly nights spent relaxing outside. Imagine rugging up in warm blankets and sipping hot chocolates (or enjoying a glass of red) by the side of your very own crackling fire!
These can be constructed by professionals, but why not buy some bricks yourself and have a go at doing it DIY? Our beautifully textured Alfresco range, our unique Highlands range or our stylish, industrial look Manhattan range are some of the great brick choices for this project.
Our top three picks for brick fire pit assembly construction are Family Handyman, DIY Network and HGTV.
2. Build a pizza ovenNo alfresco living space is complete without having a woodfired pizza oven. Whip up authentic and delicious pizzas, perfect for easy entertaining or getting the family together for the new weekly pizza evening.
Bricks are the perfect choice for this project as they:
- Retain heat and release it slowly
- Can withstand extremely high temperatures
- Reflect light into the oven (which is helpful for seeing when your pizza is ready)
- Bring a traditional and classic style to your pizza oven
- Don’t have any toxic chemicals in them that will taint your cooking.
You can find instructions for how to build a pizza oven at Makezine, Delicious Magazine and on WikiHow. Just have a look for the right one to fit the space you have available and your budget.
3. Build a brick garden benchMake sure each area of your garden is being utilised by making a garden bench, turning a forgotten area into a relaxing hideaway or an area for entertaining. Brick garden benches are very comfortable when covered with your favourite cushions, and you can experiment with different colours and textures to create exactly the look you want.
Visit this blog from Better Homes and Gardens or this DIY Cinder Block Bench tutorial for your brick garden bench inspiration. We’d recommend using our Pure Velvets range or our long-format Lang Mursten range for creating a modern and chic brick garden bench.
4. Build a brick path (or replace an old one)Building a new brick path or giving an old one a new lease on life with some fresh bricks can really vamp up any backyard. Whether your path leads to your front door, the back gate, or around the corner to the shed, having the bricks looking fresh and making sure they’re a colour and texture that complements the rest of your garden landscape can really transform the space.
Some great brick choices for garden paths include our Spinifex range with its lightly rolled pattern or our timeless Crafted Sandstocks range which deliver a statement of Australian tradition and authenticity.
Check out Family Handyman or DIY Network for step-by-step guides on how to build or refresh a brick garden path.
5. Make brick edging for your garden bedsMake your garden look gorgeous and neat by creating brick edging for your garden bed. You can match the tone and colour of your bricks to the types of plants you’ll be growing (or are already growing) and utilise the many different brick textures available in the PGH range to create the exact look you want. For a look that’s proudly rough around the edges and full of character, use our Honestly Artisan range to build your brick garden edging.
This Old House, BBC Gardeners’ World and Paving Expert have some handy instructions for constructing brick edging around your garden beds:
6. Create a natural pondA beautiful focal point for any garden, ponds are fantastic ways to add to the natural scenery and relaxation of your outdoor space. Whether you want to fill your pond with fish or just decorate it with luscious greenery, bricks are a fantastic construction material choice for a pond, as they possess the great strength and durability required for this environment. Use the glazed bricks from our Academy range to reduce porosity and ensure your pond is structurally integral before sealing with a high-quality sealant product.
Some examples of brick pond inspiration and construction tips can be found at Waterside Nursery, Instructables and Bradstone.
Using bricks for your home DIY projectsDon’t forget to share your projects with us using #MyPGHBrickHouse or tag us @pghbricks – we’d love to see your completed (or in-progress) brick DIY projects!
The uses for bricks are truly limitless, and creating your own projects using bricks at home can be a fun way to spend time with your family! If you fall in love with the authentic look and feel of bricks when completing your DIY projects, you can check out our full range here.